Thursday, May 28, 2009

Steroids

Unless you know about Konner's visit with the best doctor ever, Dr. Butaud, I'm sure your mind is wondering. Steroids? What about them? Yep, I know...when you hear the word steroids, you think of the '5 foot nothing guy, walking around reds with a black muscle shirt advertising the last body building contest he entered but did not win, with his veins protruding out of his biceps'. I know, GROSS! But nope, that's not what this post is about. (Even though I could ramble all day about how much those guys disgust me)

Konner is on steroids, again. Blah! This time it's a dissolvable tablet once a day for seven days. Dr. Butaud wants to try that on top of the antibiotics that he will be on for three weeks. Yes, three weeks. Twice a day for 21 days. That's what the bottle says. Now granted, I want him to get better. But I'm not in the least bit thrilled about "drugging" my child for three weeks. And I'm also not thrilled about the fact that we have to use saline spray and suction his nose 10-15 times a day. Do you know how miserable that must be for him? Can you imagine how raw his nose will be?

Our visit was quick and to the point yesterday. I think the majority of that has to do with the fact that doctors refuse to communicate with each other. Dr. Butaud has no idea about Konner's crazy journey. He had no clue that he was hospitalized once, more less 3 times. He had no clue that he has constant bouts of bronchitis and other breathing problems. He didn't even know that he has a nebulizer.

Now I'm not putting any of the blame on Doc. After all, he is my favorite. :) I'm just tired of starting over. I'm tired of trial and error every time we see a new doctor. Damn it...I'm tired of going to the doctor.

It's extremely heart breaking when you walk into a doctors office and your innocent child's face goes from one extreme to the other. He knows. He knows that the man or woman in the white coat is going to poke and prod him. He knows that he will get a long stick down his throat. He knows that they will look into his aching ear. It's sad. Really sad to see that look on your child's face when there's nothing you can do to help them understand.

I'm tired of it. I'm ready for my little boy to be happy. To feel healthy. To be able to be himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment